“Rural” is defined as Australian Statistical Geography Standard– Remoteness Areas (ASGS-RA) 2-5. To check if your health setting is within the ASGS RA2-RA5, visit the DoctorConnect website.
Candidates who occupy STP-funded posts in rural health settings may claim Rural Support Loading (RSL) for eligible expenses of up to $25,000 (GST exclusive) per 1 FTE, per annum. The allowance is provided to support the candidate and assist in meeting those additional costs which may be incurred in rural areas. RSL funding should be used as an additional support on top of any other professional development packages for which the Candidate may be eligible.
PLEASE NOTE: RSL payments are not made to individual Candidates and will be paid on a pro-rata FTE basis
How RSL can be used
Rural support loading can be used to pay for the following trainee incurred expenses:
- Accommodation costs – accommodation /rent subsidies
- Purchase of resources – text books, computers, tablet, phone, journal subscriptions
- Attendance at training courses, meetings and conferences (within Australia only)
- Video conferencing facilities – equipment, installation, software)
- Broadband access / IT upgrade and or access, IT hardware relating to the training post, not the entire site
- Research project requirements – access to online library, laboratory equipment, subscriptions
- Relocation costs – flights, household removal, vehicle removal
- Travel costs – flights, car mileage, taxis and costs associated with attending teaching sessions such as lectures, tutorials, conferences, meetings within Australia.
- Travel expenses related to day-to-day travel between health settings within a region for the purpose of training – car hire, use of vehicle, flights
How to claim
- To claim expenses, health settings are required to complete an RSL CLAIM FORM.
- The claim form is submitted by your health setting twice annually and payments are made in arrears. Candidates must liaise with their Supervisor to receive a reimbursement for any expenses incurred.
- If Candidates experience difficulty in claiming expenses from their health setting, please contact RACMA via email@example.com.