Recording FTE spent in different locations
RACMA is required to report the physical location of where Candidates are training for all health settings that receive STP funding.
Candidates are therefore asked to keep a record of where their time is spent, so that a pro rata calculation can be made of the FTE for each location visited while training.
This information should be included with the biannual Progress Report that is submitted to RACMA by the health setting.
PICS (Private Infrastructure Clinical Supervision) Allowance
The aim of the PICS Allowance is to support the delivery of STP in private sector settings, and ensure that health settings provide appropriate supervision of their STP Candidates in accordance with the accreditation standards set by RACMA. PICS can be used to support eligible clinical supervision or infrastructure expenses in the private setting.
PICS is managed in accordance with the Department of Health’s PICS Guidelines. Private STP settings may claim PICS funding for eligible expenses of up to $30,000 (GST exclusive) per 1 FTE, per annum. PICS is linked to the specific training position and is not paid directly to Candidates or Supervisors.
How can PICS be used
While many private STP settings elect to use their PICS allowance predominantly for supervision costs, they may also claim for infrastructure resources which provide for, or enhance, the training experience delivered by the STP training position.
Eligible infrastructure expenses include:
- training room outfitting, including purchasing specific training equipment such as microscopes for trainees and training simulation equipment
- expenditure for initial training post setup, including any costs associated with recruitment and retention
- minor renovation of existing facilities to make space within the training setting suitable for use in registrar training
- videoconferencing facilities
- investments in on-line educational training software and relevant online journal access
- overhead infrastructure in general i.e. office asset equipment purchases that will be used by Candidates and their Supervisors (i.e. computers; phones; desks; IT equipment and associated facilities).
How to claim PICS
- PICS Claim Forms are submitted to RACMA twice annually. Eligible claims are paid in arrears in conjunction with the salary support component.
- Settings that wish to use PICS for infrastructure expenses are asked to provide details about how they intend to do this at the start of the academic year. This is done by submitting a PICS Planned Infrastructure Expenditure Form.
- The setting must then confirm that each infrastructure project has been completed.
STP Candidate Survey
On completion of their training in an STP-funded position, Candidates are asked to complete an online STP Candidate Survey. This survey seeks feedback to provide RACMA with data to ensure that the STP delivers its intended outcomes to candidates. This de-identified feedback is used for project reporting purposes for the Department of Health (Australia).