- Western Sydney Local Health District
- Western Sydney, NSW
Employment Type: Full-time
Location: Western Sydney, NSW
Application Close Date: 22/06/2023
Where you’ll be working
Auburn Hospital is an acute care health facility, which is on the eastern border of Western Sydney Local Health District (WSLHD) as well as a teaching hospital affiliated with the University of Notre Dame Medical School. Auburn is a Western Sydney suburb in the state of NSW and has one of the most culturally and linguistically diverse (CALD) population groups in Australia. The Hospital is accredited for specialist anaesthesia, obstetrics, emergency medicine and surgical training, and prevocational trainees within the Westmead Prevocational Training Program.
The Facility has an Emergency Department and Short Stay Unit; Adult General Medicine and Surgical Wards; High Dependency / Close Observation Unit; Maternity and newborn care unit; Paediatric shortstay unit; Temporary stay unit (non-acute care) and satellite renal dialysis. The Hospital provides over:
- 30,000 attendances to a 24/7 mixed adult and children Emergency Department
- 10,000 surgical procedures per annum in General Surgery, Plastic and Hands, Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Paediatrics, ENT, Orthopaedics and Endoscopy.
- 1,500 deliveries per annum primarily for lower risk pregnancies
About the Role
The DMS is responsible for providing expect professional and clinical leadership in the strategic and operational management of medical, pharmacy and imaging services within Auburn Hospital. As a member of the Executive Team, the DMS contributes to the overall leadership and management of the Hospital, the development and implementation of future goals to ensure our patients experience the best possible care while our teams work in a safe, health and culturally sensitive environment.
The position reports to the General Manager and is professionally supported by the WSLHD Executive Director Medical Services and the WSLHD Senior Medical Appointment and Recruitment Unit. The DMS will also provide governance, advisory and management expertise to WSLHD Medical Services including Drug Health and Oral Health Services.
- You will have a vision and an optimistic outlook which inspires positive changes in others and in practice.
- You will be energetic, enthusiastic and passionate about what you do.
- You will lead by example and be able to gain the buy-in of medical staff by being inclusive and valuing the contribution of each and every member of staff.
- You will have experience in medical management in a healthcare setting as you will have overall responsibility for the medical workforce.
- Possess or be eligible for registration with the Medical Board of Australia and Fellowship of the Royal Australasian College of Medical Administrators or other Specialty College Fellowship or equivalent as provided for in the Staff Specialists (State) Award. Must have Australian Citizenship or Permanent Australian Residency.
- Sound medical administration knowledge obtained through tertiary management qualifications and/or significant experience in a complex hospital environment equivalent to the requirements of this position.
- Demonstrated skills, knowledge, and attitudes appropriate for practice as a Senior Medical Practitioner including support of medical education and training, teaching and supervision, and familiarity with basic, applied, or clinical research.
- Demonstrated skills and experience in medical workforce, performance, and complaint management
- Demonstrated clinical leadership skills in supporting the development and implementation of new and enhanced clinical services and/or models of care, and experience in leading quality improvement to achieve real-world outcomes for patient safety.
- Strong relationship building capabilities, conflict management and influencing skills with the ability to communicate, motivate, consult, and negotiate with senior executives, Senior Medical Practitioners, and diverse stakeholder groups including consumers
- Well-developed capacity to work independently with minimal supervision and collaboratively in a team environment, with an understanding of and ability to work with committees.
Applicants expecting to be awarded fellowship within 6 months are eligible to apply
Applicants must provide evidence of a Working with Children Check issued by the Office of Communities Commission for Children and Young People. For more information on how to apply for the clearance, please visit the Commission for Children and Young People website: Home | Office of the Children’s Guardian (nsw.gov.au).
For more information please contact:
Name: Amanda Green – General Manager, Auburn Hospital
Phone: 0428 469 222
Name: Dr Brett Gardiner
If you are having any issues regarding your application via e-credential, please contact the Specialist Medical and Dental Recruitment Unit on (02) 8838 2094 or via e-mail: WSLHD-SMADR@health.nsw.gov.au
Applications close: Thursday 22nd of June 2023, 5:00pm