- WA Country Health Service (WACHS)
- Gascoyne District, Midwest, WA
Employment Type: Full-time
Location: Gascoyne District, Midwest, WA
Application Close Date: 25/08/2023
Where you’ll be working
The WA Country Health Service (WACHS) Midwest health region of Western Australia covers more than 470,000 square kilometres, nearly one fifth of the State, with its population concentrated along the coast. The region is located in the northern middle section of Western Australia and incorporates three health districts – Gascoyne, Geraldton, Midwest and Murchison, is recognised for its unique natural environment and is a culturally diverse region with Aboriginal people representing 13% of the overall population.
The Gascoyne is located North-West within Western Australia. The region has more than 600 kilometres of Indian Ocean coastline and stretches more than 500 kilometres inland through to dramatic desert country. Carnarvon is a subtropical oasis ideally situated between the shark bay and Ningaloo coast world heritage areas. Whale sharks, rocky gorges and ‘drift snorkelling’ beaches are just the beginning when it comes to the coastal haven towns such as Exmouth.
About the Role
In this role you will lead and manage the medical team in Carnarvon and Exmouth. As a Senior Medical Officer (SMO), you will be responsible for the delivery of a comprehensive, patient safety and quality focused medical service to residents of, and visitors to, the Gascoyne District via hospitals and clinics. Participate as an active member of the Gascoyne management team. Provide a medical advisory service to the Gascoyne Operations Manager.
Line management for this position rests with the Operations Manager Gascoyne, however the SMO will be responsible to the Regional Director of Medical Services in professional matters. The Regional Director Medical Services and Operations Manager Gascoyne will jointly manage performance development of the SMO. Additionally, the SMO will have a Clinical component within the position of approximately 0.4FTE.
Leads and manages the medical team in Carnarvon and Exmouth including the SMIT. Ensures the delivery of a comprehensive, patient safety and quality focused medical service to residents of, and visitors to, the Gascoyne District via hospitals and clinics. Participate as an active member of the Gascoyne management team. Provide a medical advisory service to the Gascoyne Operations Manager.
- Eligible for registration by the Medical Board of Australia.
- Possess considerable and relevant postgraduate medical practice which includes experience in one or more of the following fields – Obstetrics, Anaesthetics, Trauma Management, General/Internal Medicine, Paediatrics or Administration (Subject to approval of Clinical Appointments Committee.)
- Understanding of family medicine, primary health care and preventative health care practice.
- High level of oral and written communication and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated capacity to work effectively in a team environment and the ability to lead, develop and manage a team of independent practitioners.
- Demonstrated commitment to and understanding of Clinical Governance and Quality Improvement.
- Demonstrated commitment to continuing education.
- Current knowledge of legislative and regulatory requirements in the areas of Equal Opportunity, Disability Services and Occupational Safety & Health, and how these impact on employment, people management and service delivery.
- Eligible for / or in possession of a current C or C-A Class drivers licence.
- Previous management or medical administration experience at a senior level.
- Post graduate degree, or progress towards FRACMA, Masters of Public Health, Masters of Health Administration or equivalent.
- Possess formal postgraduate qualifications in one or more of the following fields – Obstetrics. Anaesthetics, Trauma Management, General/Internal Medicine or Paediatrics.
- Experience in one or more of the following – Performing Caesarean sections, Anaesthetising children, Orthopaedic Management, Ophthalmological Management, Psychiatry and Other specialist or procedural experience.
- Experience in remote area medicine in a cross cultural setting.
For more information please contact –
Allan Pelkowitz – Allan.Pelkowitz@health.wa.gov.au
Applications close: 25 of August 2023