- Royal North Shore Hospital
- St. Leonards, NSW
Employment Type: Full-time
Location: St. Leonards, NSW
Application Close Date: 19/12/2023
Where you’ll be working
Royal North Shore Hospital is a major tertiary referral hospital providing a comprehensive range of complex services to patients from across NSW. Royal North Shore Hospital has a strong national profile in high quality clinical care, education and research.
About the Role
The Director, Medical Services role is a senior member of the RNSH Executive, and as such participates in all decisions and accountabilities regarding the management of the Health Service.
The DMS has primary responsibility for:
- Medical workforce – its efficient deployment, recruitment, wellbeing, cost and sustainability
- Quality and Clinical Governance, including lead on accreditation; risk; care oversight processes; reporting systems and strategy
- Operational management of the Medical Workforce Unit, Pharmacy and RNSH Patient Safety Quality Unit
- RNSH site lead on medicolegal matters, including preparation of materials, collaboration with counsel and support for staff and the various medicolegal processes
- Support for the coronial process and coronial matters, as they pertain to RNSH
- Oversight of the complaints, complaints resolution and open disclosure processes
- Support for the other Divisions of RNSH, including supporting difficult patient matters and serious complaints
The DMS also plays a leading role in the governance and management of care systems and processes within RNSH, including descriptions and analysis, identification of issues; opportunities and links to financial and other business objectives. In doing this, the DMS and their portfolio staff lead the system response to Hospital Acquired Complications, clinical variation and cost and outcome analyses, such as Activity Based Management.
- MBBS or equivalent, currently registered or eligible for registration with the Medical Board of Australia. Applicants must have Fellowship of the Royal Australasian College of Medical Administrators (FRACMA) or recognition as a specialist by the Medical Board of Australia.
- Consistently demonstrates behaviours that reinforce the CORE Values of our organisation; Collaboration, Openness, Respect and Empowerment.
- Tertiary management qualification at a master’s level (MHA and/or MBA or equivalent) and relevant experience in a senior medical management role, including in a tertiary hospital
- Comprehensive understanding of contemporary clinical care and various clinical models of care and associated clinical information systems
- Strong analytical skills, including a demonstrated ability to identify, analyse, develop and mobilise strategies relating to clinical care processes and systems and their economic and quality performance
- Comprehensive knowledge of and experience in managing current issues in medical workforce, medical staff training and industrial requirements for medical officers
- Ability to both lead within and work as part of the executive team
- Demonstrated commitment to accountability and proven financial management skills within a health environment
For role related queries or questions contact Heather Gough at Heather.Gough@health.nsw.gov.au or on 0434 660 717
Applications close: 19 December 2023