- Mater Health
- Brisbane, QLD
Employment Type: Full-time
Location: Brisbane, QLD
Application Close Date: 27/9/2023
Where you’ll be working
Mater stands out as the state’s largest and most innovative not-for-profit healthcare service, providing care for almost 700,000 patients a year across a network of 11 hospitals. Mater is a leader in healthcare, education and research — and that is because they employ exceptional people.
Committed to delivering a world class health service for their patients across all stages of their healthcare journey, Mater Health aims to improve patient care with a consistent focus on providing safe, low variability, evidence-based healthcare that meets the needs of the community.
About the Role
The Director of Medical Services plays a pivotal role at Mater Hospital Brisbane (MHB), overseeing the professional leadership and the effective management of the medical staff, ensuring the provision of high-quality and value-based care to patients. Reporting directly to the General Manager of Mater Hospital and Mater Private Hospital Brisbane, the Director of Medical Services supervises Medical Directors and Clinical Directors of specialty services in MHB and manages the operational aspects of the medical workforce. The DMS responsibilities span strategic and operational workforce planning, collaborating with the General Manager and Group Executive to establish a robust medical management structure, monitoring service delivery Key Performance Indicators, and applying modern financial and management principles to the workforce performance.
The DMS portfolio is instrumental in driving outstanding medical leadership, championing continuous quality improvements across Mater Health, as well as executing Mater Health strategies and consolidating Mater’s reputation as a Centre of Excellence.
Key responsibilities are as follows:
- Ensure that the performance of Mater’s employed medical staff is conducive to the delivery of the Mater Health strategy and more broadly Mater’s Mission and Values.
- Work with the General Manager and the MHB leadership team to ensure that Mater delivers on its contractual obligations in respect of contracted service delivery, in line with agreed clinical pathways, activity volumes, patient safety and quality.
- Ensure effective systems are in place to monitor clinical outcomes, compliance with regulatory bodies (including ACSQHC, specialist Colleges), CPD requirements, controllable costs, and performance appraisals for the employed senior medical workforce.
- Drive optimal staff care and experiences, and lead and develop medical staff wellness and engagement initiatives. Ensure wellbeing and safety is maintained at the highest standard; working closely with other health leaders to attract, develop, retain and support staff.
- Ensure the delivery of an effective, outcome focused clinical governance strategy across Mater Hospitals, with a particular focus on clinical effectiveness, quality outcome and process measurement, patient reported experience and outcome measurement, and patient safety.
- In addition to line management of MHB’s employed medical workforce, provide and/or facilitate expert advice to the General Manager on medical matters in their private services.
- Promote the importance of continuous improvement and excellence in the provision of clinical services across Mater.
- Role model interprofessional leadership and promote multidisciplinary care; foster strong partnerships with colleagues; and build cohesion and engagement across MHB and MPHB, facilitate and promote contemporary scope of practice for the multidisciplinary healthcare workforce.
- Maintain and support transparent leadership, including personal visibility and accessibility, and site attendance at relevant Mater Health facilities.
- Provide guidance to Mater Education on the development and implementation of a medical education strategy which supports Mater’s strategy.
- In collaboration with Mater Education ensure that all obligations are met in the provision of training and education of junior medical staff.
- Work closely with the CMO, Mater Research and other key clinicians and stakeholders to build Mater’s reputation as a Centre of Excellence in identified specialties.
- Support Senior Medical Officers in their continuing education and professional development.
The successful candidate will have significant experience in leading a large integrated, multidisciplinary workforce comprising of both clinical and non-clinical team members in either public or private acute healthcare settings. You will have a track record of success in leading major change and achieving cultural alignment through a contemporary leadership style and highly developed communication and interpersonal skills.
- Registrable as a Medical Practitioner with the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (AHPRA)
- A strong commitment to lead and role model the Mater Mission, Vision and Values
- Fellowship of the Royal Australian College of Medical Administrators (RACMA)
- Tertiary qualifications (or equivalent) in business, finance, healthcare management or human behaviour discipline
This is a significant opportunity for ambitious and motivated aspirant or established medial leaders.
To learn more about this opportunity, please visit: https://alumniglobal.com/job/director-medical-services
For a confidential discussion, please contact Jess Gough, 0448 350 146, firstname.lastname@example.org or Chris Davies, 0477 010 023, email@example.com.
Applications close: 27 September 2023