- Sunshine Coast Hospital and Health Service
- Sunshine Coast University Hospital, Birtinya, QLD
Employment Type: Full time
Location: Birtinya, QLD
Application Close Date: 3/7/2023
Where you’ll be working
Sunshine Coast Hospital and Health Service (SCHHS) is in southeast Queensland and extends through the coastal and hinterland areas from Caloundra in the south to Gympie in the north.
The SCHHS provides healthcare to a rapidly growing population. There has been significant investment in services over the past few years, in particular the establishment of the Sunshine Coast University Hospital and the Nambour General Hospital redevelopment. The SCHHS also delivers services through hospitals in Gympie, Caloundra and Maleny. In addition, the SCHHS operates a residential aged care facility in Nambour and provides community health services and community mental health services through a range of stand-alone facilities located across the Sunshine Coast region.
About the Role
The Director of Medical Services, Clinical Governance (DMS-CG) acts in collaboration with the Executive Director Medical Services (EDMS) to provide professional leadership and oversight of Clinical Governance functions for the Sunshine Coast Hospital and Health Service.
In additional to your clinical and professional expertise, you must have skills in managing people, leadership, strategy and sustainable financial accountability.
The DMS-CG is the line manager for the Director, Safety Quality and Innovation Unit (SQIU), with a team of approximately 35 staff in the Safety Quality and Innovation team working across the SCHHS. The DMS-CG reports to the Executive Director Medical Services (EDMS).
Lead the development, implementation, evaluation and review of systems, processes, and strategies to improve SCHHS clinical governance functions to support safe, high-quality and person-centred care within the Health Service.
Provide expert strategic advice and support to the Executive Safety and Quality Committee, the Board Safety and Quality Committee, the EDMS, Chief Executive and Executive team on all aspects of clinical governance, including but not limited to:
- Governance, leadership and culture
- Patient Safety and Quality Improvement systems
- Clinical Performance and Effectiveness
- Safe Environment for the delivery of care
- Partnering with consumers
Respond to emergent patient safety priorities, chair key clinical governance committees and working groups as requested by the EDMS, develop policies and procedures, and support accreditation against the National Standards and associated Clinical Care standards.
When required, assist the EDMS and Deputy Executive Director Medical Services (DEDMS) in the management of professional, medico-legal, conduct and performance matters relating to medical officers.
Supporting the EDMS and DEDMS with administration of credentialing and scope of clinical practice for senior medical officers.
Provide support and relief for the position of EDMS as required.
- Expertise in Clinical Governance relevant to a multi-facility, tertiary HHS.
- Demonstrated senior medical leadership ability, including ability to respond to HHS-wide challenges and provide strategic leadership and expert advice on all aspects of clinical governance.
- Ability to lead a culture of safety and quality which develops and promotes a learning environment through improvement methodology, risk management and effective clinical governance.
- Demonstrated highly developed interpersonal skills including conflict resolution, negotiation, consultation, communications skills with internal and external stakeholders.
- Demonstrated ability to deliver agreed outputs and manage complex issues through the coordination and management of project teams, consultants, and other resources.
- Demonstrated commitment to contemporary human resource management issues.
For a confidential discussion, please contact Dr. Marlene Pearce at (07) 5202 0008
Applications close: Monday, 3rd of July 2023