- Te Whatu Ora Hawke's Bay
- Hawkey's Bay, NZ,
Employment Type: Part-time
Location: Wellington, NZ
Application Close Date: 5/11/2023
Where you’ll be working
Hawke’s Bay is famous for its excellent seaside ‘Mediterranean’ climate, wine, food, cultural events and outdoor recreational activities. There is a strong sense of community. It is a wonderful place to raise children with a number of excellent schools that receive national recognition. The area offers an enviable lifestyle with a choice of urban or rural living, and little traffic congestion.
Te Whatu Ora Hawke’s Bay in general encourages a workforce that is innovative, eager to learn and enhance their skills and is passionate about caring for our community. As part of our team we will support, encourage and help you to develop your career with us.
We are committed to delivering and living our Te Whatu Ora values of He kauanuanu – Respect, Ākina – Improvement, Rāranga te tira– Teamwork and Tauwhiro – Care. You should be someone who has similar personal values.
We are proud of our team’s diversity. We know the strength of a diverse and inclusive workforce helps us achieve the best outcomes for our patients and the communities in which we operate and serve.
About the Role
We are currently seeking a Chief Medical Officer (CMO) based at Hawke’s Bay Fallen Soldiers’ Memorial Hospital, situated in Hastings, New Zealand, a region of over 162,000 people. The hospital is a modern facility with a large range of surgical, medical, oncology and radiological services.
As CMO, your responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
- Promote and support organizational vision, strategic goals and values within the organization
- Provide leadership to doctors and clinicians
- Initiate and support initiatives for improving and strengthening clinical operations and clinical governance
- Support professional governance with the medical staff by –
- Having an appropriate and credentialed medical workforce
- Recruiting training and mentoring
- Ensuring adherence to relevant health regulation and prescribed safety standards,
- Assisting clinician to reach professional and personal goals
- Maintenance of own competencies in medical administration
- Support consumer wellbeing and outcomes through engagement and including the effective management of complaints and medico-legal issues.
- Provide a clinical perspective to enablers such as finance, data and digital, corporate teams
- Acting as a medical representative for Te Whatu Ora Hawke’s Bay at local, regional and national meetings and structures
As Chief Medical Officer positions require both medical and management experience, you should have proven experience in leading a clinical team, strategic development and implementation and financial management. Experience in clinical risk and project management and knowledge of the clinical governance framework will be advantageous.
To effectively act as a liaison between the hospital’s administrative and clinical functions, you must have excellent communication skills. You will need the ability to clearly relay administrative imperatives to clinical staff and must also provide a clinical perspective to administrative goals and strategies. In order to do this, you will have:
- Excellent leadership skills to inspire excellence and ensure a shared vision
- Strong organisational skills to effectively delegate tasks
- Excellent problem-solving skills to devise effective solutions for organisational challenges
- Professional conduct, which includes upholding ethical and professional standards
- Sound commercial acumen and an understanding of business principles
- Solid financial skills, including working with budgets
- An understanding of their organisation’s structure and functions
- Strong emotional intelligence to effectively handle staff issues and crisis situations
For a confidential discussion about the role please contact Caroline Kermode:
- P: +64 27 891 0107
Applications close: 5 November 2023