Employment Type: Contract
Location: Alice Springs, NT
Application Close Date: 09/3/2023
Where you’ll be working
Working in the Northern Territory is not just a once in a lifetime cultural and clinical experience – it may also provide the accelerated career opportunities you have always wanted.
Being a Resident Medical Officer / Senior Resident Medical Officer in the Territory provides you with access to ongoing training and education, and support to develop the clinical skills and knowledge required to the full potential of your scope of practice while providing exemplary healthcare to all Territorians. It offers the chance to work within established multidisciplinary teams in an environment that encourages innovation and excellence.
About the Role
Working as an integral part of the multidisciplinary team, the RMO will assist in the diagnosis, ongoing management and discharge planning for the patient within their scope of practice. Term rotations are available for Resident Medical Officer / Senior Resident Medical Officer in ICU, Anaesthetics, Paediatrics, Obstetrics and Gynaecology, and Medical and Surgical units.
Key duties and responsibilities:
- Take increasing responsibilities for day to day clinical management of unit patients and adequate documentation of their care including updating medical records, discharge
- Initiate, implement and monitor management of patients under supervision, incorporating the appropriate testing and investigation and regularly review patient objectives, interpretative, physical and mental
- Appropriately liaise with all staff involved in the care of the patient, including communication and referrals necessary for ongoing care post-discharge including primary health care provider.
- Use technology appropriately, with cost benefit and potential patient benefit and complications
- Counsel and support patients and their families, including communication with the patient about their condition and management.
- Continually update and extend personal medical knowledge and skills, regularly attend clinical and educational meetings and remain familiar with current medical literature, including participating in teaching more junior staff and medical students under supervision and participate in Division / Departmental / Unit Quality Improvement
- Follow defined service quality standards, work health and safety policies and procedures relating to the work being undertaken in order to ensure high quality, safe services and
- Foster a positive workplace culture through exemplary work practices and role modelling behaviour in accordance with NT health values
- General Registration with the Australian Health Practitioners Regulatory Authority as a Medical Officer or be eligible for provisional registration via the Competent Authority Pathway.
- Completion of a medical internship with a relevant health
- Familiarity with standards laid out in AHPRA “Good Medical Practice”
- Willingness to accept that flexibility is required to meet the changing needs of the hospitals
- Ability to communicate effectively with other staff, patients and their relatives
- Ability to work Nights, Weekends and Public Holidays.
- Experience in practicing medicine with Aboriginal patients and others from diverse cultural backgrounds.
- Evidence of relevant academic and research achievements, e.g. Degrees, prizes, awards, distinctions, publications, presentations or other achievements
The preferred or recommended applicant will be required to hold a current working with children clearance notice and undergo a criminal history check. A criminal history will not exclude an applicant from this position unless it is relevant to the position. This role carries specific immunisation requirements. To be eligible for appointment you will be required to meet the immunisation requirements associated with Category A (direct contact with blood or body substances).
For more information, please visit https://healthjobs.nt.gov.au or contact the Clinical Recruitment Candidate Liaison team on:
Phone: +61 8 8922 7020 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing Date: 9th March, 2023
Back to Industry Vacancies