Employment Type: Full-time
Location: Geelong, VIC
Application Close Date: 06/09/2022
- Strategic Senior Medical Leadership Opportunity – Based in Geelong
- Support Health Service Partnerships across the Barwon Region
- Work closely with our medical services leadership team to make real change across the region
Where you’ll be working
Barwon health is the major regional health provider for the Barwon South West region. It is one of Victoria’s largest regional health service with one of the busiest hospitals in the state, University Hospital. We serve over 500,000 people through the efforts of over 8,500 staff and more than 1200 volunteers. We provide care at all stages or life and circumstance through a wide range of services from emergency and acute to mental health, primary care, community services, aged care, and subacute/rehabilitation. Care is provided to the community through over 28 key locations throughout the region.
About the Role
The Director Medical Services (Regions) position is a senior medical leadership role at Barwon Health and encompasses broader support from a strategic, clinical governance and workforce perspective to other health services in the Barwon South West region, particularly Colac Area Health.
This role provides the successful applicant an opportunity to manage key business functions / units within Barwon Health and also take on a senior role in regional clinical services and workforce planning.
This role reports directly to the Chief Medical Officer (CMO) of Barwon Health. The CMO is accountable for the following functions / units:
- clinical governance; safety, quality and improvement (including Medico-Legal)
- research governance
- the Public Health and Health Service Partnerships Directorate, encompassing the Barwon Southwest Public Health Unit
- overseeing the credentialing of senior and junior medical staff and the introduction of New Technology / Clinical Practice into the organisation
- the Pharmacy Service.
The CMO holds the professional reporting line for the medical workforce across the health service and has a strategic leadership role across the Barwon South West region to support the Health Service Partnership. The CMO also supports the education and professional development of the senior and junior medical workforce through the Clinical Education Team.
The Director Medical Services (Regions) role is physically based primarily at Barwon Health and management of specific functions and units under the auspices of the CMO will be negotiated with the successful applicant, based on experience and interests.
Qualifications and experience:
- Tertiary medical qualifications, or eligibility to obtain registration in Australia
- Fellowship of the Royal Australasian College of Medical Administrators (RACMA), or substantial progress towards Fellowship, and/or other relevant management qualifications or equivalent experience
Experience and/or specialist knowledge:
- A proven track record in clinical leadership, preferably in an organisation of similar scale and complexity to Barwon Health
- Experience in strategic workforce planning and development, population health planning and development and medical practice
- Strong leadership skills, the ability to develop collaborative partnerships with external institutions
- Detailed understanding of professional management of a diverse medical workforce, including relevant industrial instruments (EBAs), training and teaching requirements and change processes
- Drives results
- Personal presence and intellect to influence
- Solid business acumen to execute existing and proposed strategic initiatives
- High personal standards of honesty and integrity
- Reliable, enthusiastic and able to achieve results
- Strongly committed to the success of the (whole) organisation
- Demonstrated high level of confidentiality
- Proven ability to lead, manage and motivate staff through the creation of a positive culture and teams of high performers without losing benefits of existing structures, cultures and
- Sound financial and business planning skills
- Robust communication and interpersonal skills; able to communicate with a range of stakeholders such as junior medical staff, external authorities or Board members
- Demonstrated experience in strategic planning and understanding of corporate management practice and
Possession of a specialty clinical Fellowship is highly desirable
If you have any questions, please contact Ajai Verma:
P: (03) 4215 1053
Applications close Tuesday 6/09/2022
Back to Industry Vacancies