Southern NSW Local Health District (LHD) covers a large area of New South Wales, from Goulburn and Crookwell to the Victorian border and surrounds the ACT on three sides. It extends from the pristine beaches of the NSW South Coast, the farmlands of the Southern Tablelands, across the picturesque Great Dividing Range and the spectacular Snowy Mountains.
Southern NSW LHD provides health services for about 200,000 residents and balloons seasonally with an influx of more than 5 million tourists each year. They are attracted to the region’s snowfields and pristine coastal areas. Visitors account for between 13% and 17% of all emergency department presentations each year.
Southern NSW LHD is home to four large Aboriginal nations – the Gundungurra, Ngunnawal, Ngarigo and Yuin. In the 2011 census about 3.5% of residents identified as Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander.
Southern NSW LHD employs over 3000 people across more than 20 sites making it one of the region’s largest employers with most staff local to the communities they serve. Doctors, nurses and allied health professionals account for about 70 per cent of the workforce. Southern NSW LHD has 14 public inpatient facilities comprising 11 hospitals and three multi-purpose services. The multi-purpose services (MPS) combine a range of health and aged care tailored to meet each community’s unique clinical needs and provide emergency and basic care.
The Tablelands Network includes the inland northern regions of the health district; this includes the main town centres of Crookwell, Goulbourn, and Yass. The health district has recently invested in major redevelopments at Goulburn, Crookwell (currently underway) and Yass hospitals.
The Coastal Network includes the Eurobodalla Health Service and Bega Valley Health Service the region is located in the Yuin Nation on the beautiful south coast of NSW and is a networked service spread over 5 services. Moruya and Batemans Bay Hospitals are co-located with community health, and there is a standalone community health centre in Narooma. Bega Valley Health Services has a recently built South East Hospital and community health centres at Eden and Pambula.
The Director of Medical Services Tablelands Network and Coastal Network reporting to the General Manager of the respective Networks and professionally accountable to the Executive Director of Medical Services, will be responsible for management of medical staffing, policy development, financial strategy, reviews and clinical audits. They will manage recruitment and retention of staff specialists, VMOs and locums; oversee policy development; review, implementation and refinement of policy; design and manage budget and financial strategy; and ensure good clinical practice.
1. Demonstrated extensive experience of clinical leadership and management at the executive or senior level.
2. Demonstrated capacity in communication and negotiation.
3. Evidence of excellent consultative and interpersonal skills.
4. Ability to liaise and consult with all levels of the health industry.
5. Demonstrated understanding of and ability to lead clinical governance, clinical risk management and
continuous quality improvement within the complex operating environment.
6. Demonstrated commercial acumen.
7. Proven ability to influence and resolve conflict.
8. Hold a current unrestricted driver’s licence and the ability to travel regularly within Network for work purposes.
1. Current registration with Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency as a Medical Practitioner or
registration with the Medical Council of New Zealand
2. Fellow of the Royal Australasian College of Medical Administrators, and/or other specialist recognition as
provided for in the Staff Specialist (State) Award, and/or working towards FRACMA and/or other post
graduate qualifications that are appropriate and pertinent to the function of the DMS.
3. Evidence of a current, unrestricted class C driver’s licence. Ability and willingness to travel for work purposes.
This may involve driving long distances and overnight stays as required.
For further enquiries and confidential discussion please contact:
Pete Carter on +61 (0)448 729 077 or via email: email@example.com
Applications close: 27/10/2021
Back to Industry Vacancies