If you do not have a username or password, please contact us with your details.

Travel Policy

1.           PURPOSE

The purpose of this policy is to ensure compliance with all relevant legal obligations, equity of travel standards across the College, effective management of the College’s travel budget and streamlined travel processes.

This policy covers all requirements for the booking of all travel and associated accommodation conducted by Fellows/members, staff and other representatives on College business. The College recognises and values the generous services provided by its members. To minimise the costs associated with travel wherever possible, the College seeks the assistance of College travellers to manage all travel costs as effectively and efficiently as possible.

2.            SCOPE

This policy is applicable to all College Board members, Fellows and Members, Australia and New Zealand, College staff and other representatives on College business and covers domestic and international travel incorporating: air; road; rail; vehicle hire; and accommodation

3.            INTENT

 To provide reasonable and economical travel management services, for Fellows/members, College staff and other representatives travelling intrastate, interstate or overseas on College business.

The College monitors the quality of travel including accommodation and customer service. College management invites feedback from travellers and College staff by email to This information will be used for user service, system and process improvements. Travellers may also provide feedback to staff responsible for their meeting arrangements.

4.            KEYWORDS

Travel, Accommodation, Flights, Traveller, Expenses

4.1          Definitions

[supsystic-tables id=21]


All travel, including flights, accommodation, car rental etc., should be approved in advance of any travel.

All domestic travel is to be approved in advance by the relevant work area Manager, Chief Executive (CE) or, in the case of travel by the Chief Executive (CE), the Board Chair or Finance & Audit Chair as approver, subject to the availability of funds in the relevant work area budget.

International travel on RACMA business must be approved in advance of the travel by the CE, subject to the availability of funds in the relevant work area budget.

Any out of budget travel is to be referred to the Finance and Audit Committee for approval.

Any travel request that is exceptional to this policy may be approved on a case-by-case basis by the CE.

5.1          Request Amendments

Changes to a previously approved Travel Authorisation Requests must obtain re-approval through submitting an amendment to the existing Travel authorisation. Changes that require re-approval are as follows:

  • Adding accommodation and/or additional nights to an existing approval;
  • Changes to the original departure and/or return destination location, irrespective of the location being in the same state;
  • Changes to the original meeting dates (this does not include a time change if the date remains the same);
  • Adding additional baggage which incurs additional costs not previously included on the original travel authorisation; and
  • Adding additional Travellers to a Travel booking.

                A Travel Authorisation Variation form needs to be completed stating the reasons for any amendments to original bookings.

6.            TRAVEL BOOKINGS

6.1.1      Travel Consultant

The College has appointed Corporate Traveller to provide travel management services for all domestic and international travel, including flights, accommodation, car hire, passport and visa services, travellers’ cheques, foreign exchange and travel insurance.  All travel and accommodation, where possible, should be booked via Corporate Traveller.

Corporate Traveller will provide the “Best Fare of Day” wherever possible at the time of booking based on the information provided by the traveller of within the travel policy guidelines provided by the College.

NB: the “Best Fare of Day” will be restrictive/non-refundable fares that cannot be changed on the day of departure for forward and return flights. As such:

  • 24 hours’ notice is required to change “Best Fare of Day” bookings
  • A service fee plus any fare difference is charged
  • The fare for the new booking may be higher than the original fare, depending on what fares are available

If travel is booked using other travel services that results in an airfare of a higher amount, travellers shall be required to pay the difference between the most economical airfare available by Corporate Traveller and the airfare booked.

6.1.2      First Time Travellers

When making a booking for the first time a college Traveller will need to complete the required information on the Corporate Traveller Profile Form and forward to for processing at least 72 hours prior to travelling for the first time. This information will then be forwarded to Corporate Traveller who will process the profile form within 24 hours.

6.1.3      Personal and Accompanying Persons Travel Arrangements

Personal flights and/or accommodation can be made via Corporate Traveller.  Personal flights and/or accommodation should be charged to personal credit cards rather than the College account. Personal travel made in conjunction with RACMA travel should be paid for at the time of booking by the traveller’s personal credit card.

RACMA does not fund travel for partners or other family members of travellers, however booking can be made for accompanying persons through Corporate Traveller will handle the booking separately and a separate credit card will be required at the time of booking.

6.2          FLIGHTS

6.2.1      Domestic Flights

All travel within Australia and New Zealand must be economy class when the College is paying for the fare. Any traveller who wishes to upgrade to a higher travel class, may do so, provided they pay the gap difference in air fare and taxes. 

Exception to this can only be approved by the CE as per section 5 above.

6.2.2      International Flights

Booking of airfares for international travel must have approval from the CE as per section 5 above.

International travel to destinations that exceed six hours in flight time (one way) may be booked in Business Class/ Premium Economy, with approval from the CE. Or in the case of the CE being unavailable, the President or Chair of Finance & Audit Committee.

6.2.3      Membership of Airport Lounges & Reward Programs

Membership of airport lounges or customer loyalty programs are individually based and therefore any expenses incurred for such memberships will not be reimbursed by the College.

Members can supply the details of any Frequent Flyer programs when submitting their Travel Profile Form.  The details of which will be applied to any travel undertaken to applicable Frequent Flyer program/s.

6.2.4      Accompanying Persons

Accompanying persons not on College business are permitted, but they must meet their own costs if prior approval is not given. Bookings can be made through the email address, whereby payment by personal credit card will be required.

Reimbursement of travel expenses for accompanying persons (e.g. a nursing child or a carer required to support the needs of a meeting attendee) will be considered on a case by case basis under the following procedures and guidelines:

  • If the meeting is an approved scheduled meeting and the amount requested is $500 or under, an application for approval of cost must be made to the CE; or
  • If the meeting is an unscheduled meeting and/or the amount requested exceeds $500 then an application for approval of costs must be submitted to the CE at least (28) days in advance of travel. Reimbursement of reasonable child minding expenses for accompanying persons e.g., a baby sitter or nanny of a young child or children up to their 2nd birthday (2 years old) for College approved meetings and events will be granted, if approval is sought prior to the member travelling to attend the meeting or event.

The application for approval of cost must be made to the CE. All requests should give an estimate of costs for consideration.

6.3          ACCOMMODATION

College meeting times are arranged where possible to allow travellers to leave their place of residence to travel to a College meeting in the morning and return in the evening of the same day, at reasonable times. 

College business (committee meetings, etc.) will normally be scheduled to start at 10am and finish at 4pm. Where flight schedules, allow travellers the opportunity to travel between these times, NO overnight accommodation will be necessary.

For College business that falls outside of the scheduled meetings start and finish times or where flight schedules do not permit a traveller the opportunity to return to their preferred location at a reasonable time, accommodation may be provided upon request.

Fellows, Trainees and College staff will not be required to depart their place of residence or preferred location prior to 6am, or return to their destination after 10pm, however they may choose to do so. A traveller’s place of residence return evening destination and time zones should be considered, when considering accommodation requirements. A traveller’s place of residence, time zones and return destination should all be considered in choosing accommodation requirements. Where the duration of travel from a place of residence or similar location and the departure airport is greater than 4 hours, the traveller may request accommodation.

In the event a requested hotel exceeds the College accommodation allowance, and there are no reasonable alternatives, Managers may approve the additional spend under the following conditions:

•             The additional spend must be within the Managers delegation; the Manager must inform the CE when approving the amount by copying the CE in when responding to Corporate Traveller granting approval.

Corporate Traveller will source an appropriate preferred hotel that should be located within a reasonable distance to the College office or meeting location. However, if the traveller requests to stay at a preferred hotel, the difference will need to be approved or at the traveller’s expense. 

The following guidelines apply when the College sources hotel/accommodation:

  • Accommodation rates are up to $295 per night per person.
  • 4-star hotels/accommodation as a standard, however a 5-star hotel/accommodation having rates at or lower than $295 per night per person, will be given preference.
  • Breakfast is included in the room rate where available.  Travellers will be reimbursed as per the meal reimbursement rate if breakfast is not available/suitable at the accommodation.
  • All accommodation includes wi-fi access.
  • Incidentals incurred by the traveller during their stay (e.g. phone; mini bar; late check out fees etc.) should be paid by the traveller.  Incidentals will not be reimbursed by the College without prior approval of the CE.

In the event a requested hotel/accommodation exceeds the College accommodation allowance and there are no reasonable alternatives, Managers may approve the additional spend under the following conditions:

  • The additional spend must be within the Manager’s delegation and the Manager must obtain the CE endorsement when approving the amount.
  • If the traveller requests to stay at a preferred hotel, the difference will need to be approved by the CE or be at the traveller’s expense.
  • Reasonable hotel internet charges incurred during travel for the College will be charged to the hotel account as part of the booking. Where internet charges cannot be charged to a hotel account, these charges will be reimbursed directly upon sending a reimbursement form with receipts to the College.


The following schedule 1, sets out the amounts that the College administration considers are reasonable (reasonable amounts) for travellers and representatives for:

  • Domestic travel expenses – for food and drink (no alcohol) and incidentals when travelling away from home overnight for work
  • International travel expenses – for food and drink (no alcohol), and incidentals when travelling overseas for work.

The reasonable amounts only provide the maximum amount you can claim without being required to substantiate your expenditure.

Executive Representatives – Travel Rates Schedule

ItemAustralia and New Zealand
($) AUD
International and overseas
($) AUD
Breakfast (where it is not included)34.7534.75
Travel Incidentals27.6535.00

6.5           USE OF VEHICLES

6.5.1         Car Rental

If required, car rental may be booked through Corporate Traveller.

Car upgrades are to be paid by personal credit card at the time of booking and are non-reimbursable.

6.5.2        Use of Private Vehicle

Reimbursement for personal vehicle use covers all motor vehicle expenses incurred whilst the vehicle is being used on RACMA business at the current approved rate in line with the current Australian Taxation Office (ATO) guidelines (reviewed annually). 

On the Expenses Reimbursement Form the claimant must state the distance travelled in kilometres, provide the origin and destination of the trip, and details of the purpose of the journey. Reimbursement of kilometres travelled is considered to be a travel allowance and therefore no tax invoice or receipt is required. The ATO “cents per Kilometre” rate is applied to cover all running costs of a vehicle e.g. fuel, insurance, registration etc

6.5.3     Any use of a personal vehicle requires that the following criteria is met:

  • Authorisation has been obtained from the Chief Executive (CE)
  • the driver holds a valid current full driver’s licence
  • the private vehicle is comprehensively insured
  • the vehicle if fully registered and road worthy

6.5.4      Parking

The College will reimburse car parking costs incurred whilst on College business. As a general rule valet parking will not be reimbursed, however it will be considered if valet parking costs are less than taxi costs. Travellers must negotiate valet parking costs with the CE, prior to their travel. Additional services associated with car parking such as car cleaning services are non-reimbursable.

6.6          Taxis

Where College business has been organised in advance, the College may provide taxi vouchers (‘Cab charges’). 

Taxi vouchers should only to be used by the person that they have been issued to and are to be used for College business only, for travel ‘From’ and ‘To’ the agreed destinations. Lost, stolen or damaged vouchers should be reported to the College for immediate cancellation. Any unused taxi vouchers are to be returned to the College. 

  • Cab charges may not be used for personal travel
  • Cab Charge receipts must be forwarded to the College
  • If a taxi voucher has not been provided, the College will reimburse taxi travel on presentation of receipts presented to the College.

6.6.1        Share ride providers (e.g. Uber/GoCatch)

RACMA will reimburse licensed share ride providers, provided that the passenger confirms prior to travel that the service provider is suitably licensed for the transportation of fare paying passengers.  The College will reimburse ride share travel on presentation of receipts.

6.7             Public Transport

Buses and trains may be used between accommodation and terminals and for travel to a business-related event and the costs incurred will be reimbursed upon the presentation of appropriate receipts.

7                INSURANCE

The College will provide basic travel insurance to cover the period when the College member or staff member is reasonably expected to be on College business. Anyone travelling on college business is not required to take out private insurance and no excess applies.  If an individual chooses to take out private travel insurance this is to be at their own expense.

A copy of RACMA’s travel insurance policy is available upon request from College staff.

The use of private motor vehicles as transport for RACMA business is not covered by the RACMA insurance policies

7.2            Insurance excess for private vehicles

In the event of an accident, for the use of a private motor vehicle for college business, where the Chief Executive (CE) has approved the use of a private vehicle for college business, the College will reimburse an individual’s insurance excess.

The following stands:

1.            Amounts will be paid up to the threshold cap of $1000

2.            Amounts over the $1000 cap, bears responsibility with the motor vehicle owner and will not be reimbursed

3.            An excess claim will not be reimbursed by the College without the prior approval for the use of the motor vehicle by the Chief Executive

4.            Bona fide insurance documentation will be required (at the time of a claim), which clearly indicates the excess amount for claim purposes


Travel and accommodation costs to attend meetings held at the time of the Annual Scientific Meeting are not covered, except for College staff as approved by the CE


An Expense Reimbursement Form is required to be completed, with all original receipts attached, and submitted to the National Office before any reimbursement will be made. (refer to the Expense Reimbursement Policy) Copies of credit card statements are not acceptable as evidence of an expense.

The College’s preferred method of reimbursement is by electronic means. Claimants should forward BSB and Account information to the College with their reimbursement request.


Items that are private in nature must not be charged to RACMA.

Expenses non-reimbursable by RACMA include, but are not limited to:

  • Fines and penalties
  • Scams, frauds and illegitimate schemes
  • Customer loyalty programme/award-based memberships; as noted above
  • Interest on overdue amounts and late payment penalties
  • Private travel, including travel incurred for an accompanying family member; as noted above
  • Equipment for private use
  • Health club fees
  • Alcohol
  • Minibar
  • Entertainment and movies

See Expenses Reimbursement Policy for further information.

9.2        TAX INVOICE – Definition

For GST purposes the claimant must submit a compliant tax invoice in accordance with taxation of goods and services legislative requirements in Australia and/or New Zealand. In order for a document to be deemed a tax invoice the following must be included as a minimum:

Australian and New Zealand:

  • Australian Business Number (ABN) and/or GST Number (applicable to New Zealand)
  • The GST inclusive price of the supply
  • Words “Tax Invoice” must be stated
  • Date of issue
  • Name of supplier
  • Name of recipient (if practicable)
  • Brief description of each thing supplied Claims submitted with supporting documentary evidence based only on a credit card issued receipt are not deemed a tax invoice and in cases where the college is unable to claim a GST refund it is at the College discretion to only reimburse the claimant the value of the supply excluding GST.

Fellows may wish to issue a tax invoice from their practice company to the College, if the original tax invoices or receipts are not available. In this situation the practice tax invoice will need to be supported by some proof of expenditure.


Except for extenuating circumstances, fees accrued for late cancellations of air travel and/or hotel reservations, without sufficient notice, will be at the traveller’s expense.

Sufficient advance notice by the college is required when cancelling hotel bookings. ‘No shows’ to college booked accommodation venues, will normally incur a cancellation fee, up to the value of the accommodation rate. These incurred charges will be at the traveller’s expense and not the college.


Expenses Reimbursement Form & Policy

Travel Request Form

Travel Authorisation Variation Form

Corporate Traveller Profile Form

RACMA Travel Insurance