Approval Date: October 2017
Review Date: October 2020
Review By: The Board
Directors need to be aware and kept up to date with:
– Their role and responsibilities as board members;
– Legal obligations of company directors
– Principles of good corporate governance; and
– Changes in the sector in which the College operates.
To that end, all Directors are expected to undertake induction training at the commencement of, and continuing professional development (CPD) activities throughout, their term as Board members.
The purpose of this policy is to set out the Board’s requirements and expectations with respect to CPD activities for its members and for those Senior Officers such as Censor in Chief, Chair CPD and the College Dean of Education, including the basis on which the cost of CPD training will be met by the College.
The cost of Board and Senior Officers training will be met by the College, provided prior written authorisation is obtained from the Chief Executive Officer to undertake the specific course or program concerned.
3.0 Mandatory CPD
Throughout their term, all Directors must attend governance training activities specified as mandatory PD by the Board (refer Appendix A). Appropriate subject matter for mandatory PD activities includes:
– Governance and directors duties
– Strategic and business planning
– Financial management
– Dispute resolution and mediation
– Responsibilities of employers
– Meeting procedures and effective decision making
– Succession planning and maintaining corporate knowledge
– Conflict of interest
– Confidentiality and privacy
– Compliance with laws and regulations
– Self-evaluation and continuing improvement of governance practice and arrangements
– Team building
4.0 Discretionary training
The Board may also approve training activities to meet the specific professional development needs of Senior Office holders, for example:
– Effective management of meetings
The cost of undertaking mandatory training will be met by the College, provided prior written authorisation is obtained from the Chief Executive Officer for the specific course or program concerned.
5.0 Other CPD activities
Other courses, conferences and training may become available from time to time that may benefit an individual Board member or Senior Officer. A Director or Senior Officer who wishes to undertake such training at the College’s cost must apply in writing to the Chief Executive Officer, setting out details of the proposed activity and the reasons the Director considers it would be of benefit.
If the Chief Executive Officer declines to approve the request, the Director or Senior Officer may through the Chair Education and Training ask the Board to agree to payment for the training activity.
The College will not pay or reimburse the costs of such an activity unless it is satisfied that:
- The activity is for the purpose of refreshing, expanding or improving the Director’s and/or Senior Officer’s knowledge, skills or ability to perform the functions of a board member; and
- The benefit to the College of the Director and/or Senior Officer undertaking the course is at least as great as the personal benefit to the Director or Senior Officer.
The Chief Executive Officer must maintain a register of professional development applications made and approved and report to the Board about professional development activities funded under this policy.
Board Approved. 17 October 2017